Cloud Storage Services from Carbon60 provide several business benefits that make it a popular solution to data storage challenges.
- Cost Savings: It is common for business to significantly reduce storage costs per Gigabyte by using Carbon60’s cloud storage solutions rather than storing the content on-premise. Cloud Storage Services saves capital expenditures (CAPEX), and on-premise physical space, and ongoing operations and maintenance.
- Scalability: Carbon60’s Cloud Storage Services are built for massive scalability, enabling seamlessly meeting the ongoing storage demands of your business.
- Security: Protection from physical disasters and direct access to the equipment are some immediate benefits from leveraging Cloud Storage from Carbon60. In addition, distributed data protection and replication policies can be enabled to ensure high availability and reliability.
To manage the most intensive I/O workloads each Carbon60 Cloud Server is also attached via fiber channel to an enterprise SAN. By default, each Carbon60 Cloud Server’s OS is mounted to a high performance Tier 1 SAN storage LUN. For data storage, choose to attach one or more additional Tier 1 (SAS) or Tier 2 (SATA) SAN storage LUNs to your Carbon60 Cloud Server. These LUNS can be scaled as required. Carbon60 uses enterprise-class SAN storage to deliver high performance, multi-tier cloud storage services. Unlike commodity cloud servers, Carbon60 Cloud Servers support high I/O workloads via its InfiniBand powered 40 Gbps storage network and high performance Tier 0 (SSD) and Tier 1 (SAS) disk arrays.
Enterprise Cloud Storage Options
By default, all Carbon60 Cloud Servers are attached to a high performance Tier 1 SAN LUN (c: drive). This default LUN hosts the base Windows or Linux OS install. For data storage, choose to add one or more Tier 0, Tier 1, or Tier 2 SAN storage LUNs. Data LUNs can be scaled on demand to 100+ TBs. Data LUNs can also be shared between Carbon60 Cloud Servers via Carbon60‘s managed NFS service. All cloud storage is provided as per usable GB basis, i.e., after subtracting up to 60% of raw disk space for RAID, parity, and spares.
- Tier 0: Tier 0 cloud storage uses state-of-the-art Solid State Drives (SSD) in a distributed RAID 10 configuration to deliver optimal I/O performance to the most demanding databases and applications. The smallest Tier 0 cloud drive available is 10 GB and it can be scaled in increments of 5 GB.
- Tier 1: Tier 1 cloud storage uses high performance, fibre channel connected 15k SAS drives in RAID 10 to deliver excellent read and write throughput for most business applications. The smallest Tier 1 cloud drive available is 50GB and it can be scaled in 25GB increments.
- Tier 2: Tier 2 cloud storage uses 7.5k SATA drives in a distributed RAID 5 configuration to deliver affordable storage for data archiving and non-I/O intensive applications. The smallest Tier 2 cloud drive available is 50GB and it can be scaled in 25GB increments.
Akamai Edge Storage Services
Akamai was a pioneer and is still the leader in wide-dispersion cloud storage services and Carbon60 is one of Akamai’s largest partners. Today the Akamai Intelligent Platform™—the world’s largest and most advanced content distribution network (CDN)—spans more than 160,000 servers in over 95 countries, and carries up to 30% of global internet traffic.
Akamai Edge Storage Services is used to dictate the storage of static web objects (typically rich media files) closer to end users. Files on NetStorage are geographically replicated according to proprietary mapping and routing algorithms to place them at the most optimal locations globally to reduce end-user download times. NetStorage is also used to add another level of redundancy to websites when used in conjunction with the failover service. If, for any reason, the default hosting origin(s) are unavailable, a maintenance page or a static version of your website can be served directly from NetStorage.